Locomotive Audio Model 14B Mono Tube Compressor/Limiter
Locomotive Audio’s single channel 14B compressor and limiter is based on a very old, but still very exciting concept of rebiasing the input tube with a sidechain control voltage.
Locomotive Audio’s single channel 14B compressor and limiter is based on a very old, but still very exciting concept of rebiasing the input tube with a sidechain control voltage. After all, some of the most famous compressors in history, such as the Fairchild 670, Gates Sta-Level and Collins 26U, employed this very technique. The results are a sound that cannot be replicated with other ways of gain reduction.
The Locomotive Audio Model 14B and its added modern features allow it to achieve a unique sound in its own right. Starting with the semi-remote cutoff 6BC8 tube, a 12AY7 then drives two powerful push-pull 6V6 output tubes. The 14B is quite a versatile unit, with the ability to run soft and gentle or hard and aggressive. A sidechain low cut control offers even more flexibility, especially when used on the mixbus and linked with another 14B. This versatile unit can be used on all kinds of source material including vocals, drums, guitars, bass, piano and horns.
With its high quality Cinemag input and interstage transformers, the Locomotive Audio Model 14B 14B has the ability to define mid-range clutter and control the peaks at the same time. Any material run through this unit will be enhanced, even when not compressing.
- – Stereo Link switch
- – Sidechain Low Cut filter control: Off and 70-350Hz
- – Hard-wire bypass switch
- – Compression turned off with full counterclockwise attack position, switching to line amplifier
- – Two position Compress-Limit Switch
- – Two position VU meter switch: Gain Reduction – Output
- – 6BC8 balance adjustment on interior of unit
- – Custom Sifam backlit VU meter
- – XLR input and output connections
- – Cinemag input and interstage transformers
- – Custom output transformer
- – Hand-built in USA with classic turret board technique
- – Heavy 16 gauge steel chassis
- – 115v/230v AC mains option on rear
- – 2-year limited warranty parts and labor
- – Tubes: (1) 6BC8, (1) 12AY7, (2) 6V6s
- – Input load impedance: 5kΩ
- – Output impedance: <800Ω
- – Variable Attack: (300µs-20ms)
- – Variable Release: (100ms-2sec)
- – Compression (4:1 ratio) or Limiting 10:1 ratio)
- – Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
- – THD+N: <1%
- – S/N ratio: >70dB
- – Dimensions: 19″w x 3.5″h x 10″d (2u rackspace)
- – Shipping Weight: 20 lbs.
- – Power Consumption (120/240VAC): 42 watts
- 14B USER’S MANUAL