Pulse Techniques Pultec EQM-1S3 Matched Pair
The Pultec EQM-1S3 mastering eq is a modern adaptation of the rare EQP-1S3 featuring all stepped controls and the same frequency points and curves, giving you the same massive low end, silky smooth highs and warmth that have made the name Pultec so desirable.
The Pultec EQM-1S3 is a painstaking adaptation of EQP-1S3 by Dr Steve Jackson, using only original-spec components to deliver the same magic sound of vintage units. Designed for mastering applications the EQM-1S3 uses only stepped controls with a 0.5dB for truly precise boost or cut and easy recall. The gain is also reduced to 10dB boost/cut instead of the 16dB.
This rare version of the Pultec EQ delivers the same sonic signature as the original EQP-1A such as its silky smooth top end and huge and tight bass. However, the EQM-1S3 boasts different EQ curves and frequency points to offer small tonal differences and added flexibility.
Pultec EQs are unlike any other EQ. Their two-band passive design with separate boost and cut controls that can be used at the same time to create a resonant shelf curve. These resonant shelves let you boost an area without suffering any of the unwanted frequency build-up making them extremely musical. In mastering application, these curves will allow you to add weight to a song without add unwanted boxiness and add presence or air without your music ever sounding harsh. The EQM-1S3 also lets you choose between peak and shelf frequencies in the high band, adding further flexibility. The different frequency points are:
- Low Shelf Boost/Cut: 30kcs 40kcs, 70kcs and 100kcs
- High Bell Boost:1kcs, 2kcs, 3kcs, 4kcs, 5kcs, 6kcs, 8kcs, 10kcs, 12kcs
- High Shelf Boost: 5kcs, 10kcs
- High Shelf Cut: 5kc, 10kc, 20kc
The EQM-1S features the same gain make-up stage as the EQP-1A, with a valve-driven push-pull design placed after the EQ to compensate for the loss of volume associated with passive EQs.
Pultec EQM1-S3 Main Features:
- Boost, cut, or both – it all sounds great
- Imbue your tracks with the stuff of legend
- Thank Pultec for decades of amazing recordings
- Single-channel, two-band equaliser built exactly like the original, legendary Pultec units
- Combines the vintage character of original Pultecs with the reliability of modern design
- Incredibly low noise floor for a pure sound
- Bandwidth control lets you decide how wide a range you’re sculpting
- Separate boost and cut controls provide additional creative potential
- Precise stepped controls for accurate recall
- More selectable frequencies than the Pultec EQM-1A3
- Low shelf boost: +10 dB in .5 dB steps @ 30, 40, 70, 100 Hz
- Low shelf attenuate: -10 dB in .5 dB steps @ 30, 40, 70, 100 Hz
- Mid/high peak boost: +10 dB in .5 dB steps@ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12 kHz
- High shelf boost: +8 dB db in .5 dB steps @ 5, 10 kHz
- High shelf attenuate: -10 dB in .5 dB steps @ 5, 10, 20 kHz
- Precision mastering-grade 21-position boost/cut rotary switches
- Input impedance: ~600 ohms
- Output impedance: ~50 ohms
- Noise: 92 dB below +10 dBm
- Distortion: ≤ 0.15% at +10 dBm into 600 ohms
- Amplifier: Flat, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +/- 0.5 dB
- Tubes: 1 each – 12AU7, 12AX7, 6X4