Standard Audio Stretch
The Standard Audio STRETCH is an API 500 series multi-band compression unit inspired by the classic tape Noise Reduction units from the 1970s and 1980s. While Noise Reduction units were typically used for reducing tape noise, engineers and producers would often “misuse” them and modify them to create sounds unobtainable by available compressors, limiters, and equalizers.
After analyzing many classic and vintage Noise Reduction units, the modifications performed, and the methods of use, we designed the Standard Audio Stretch from the ground up to enable the modern engineer/producer to easily recreate those classic techniques and take them further.
Some Recommended Uses for the Standard Audio Stretch:
• Add sparkle and air to Vocals (Lead and Background)
• Add low punch and/or bite to Drums (Kick, Snare, Toms, Rooms)
• Pull bite out of or add consistent sub to a bass guitar
• Sweeten and add air to acoustic guitar and strings
• Parallel process busses (even mix buss!) and add excitement and depth that cannot be replicated with any other available compressor or EQ combination.