HA-LANGPEQ2 - LANG PEQ-2 Solid State Program Equalizer
The LANG PEQ-2 Program Equalizer has been a powerful secret weapon for many during the last 60 years and is now available to everybody once again thanks to the rebirth of LANG Electronics Inc. acquired by Heritage Audio.
The PEQ-2 is a very high quality passive equalizer with inductors and build on the same patented Western Electric design, as the ubiquitous Pultec program equalizers, but thanks to the solid state output amplifier the PEQ-2 offers a sharper, tighter response and makes it ideal for mix bus and mastering use. A few important differences between the two legends are: The PEQ-2 has nearly twice as many frequency options to choose from… 26 compared to the Pultec´s 14. The low end is infinitely more controllable as the LANG is able to Boost and Cut at different frequencies, unlike the Pultec. There is also a very useful 20 kHz option in the High Peak Boost section that can really be helpful. Lucky Engineers who used the old PEQ-2 stated that they actually prefer the PEQ-2 to the Pultec and have become their secret weapon and totally rely on them to produce their trademark sound, including Allen Sides, Andrew Sheps and Joe Chiccarelli just to name a few.
While having a very simple and easy layout, the PEQ-2 can be deceiving as it is actually capable of some very extreme processing all while maintaining the musicality of your signal. With independent controls for Boost and Droop (Cut) for both the High and Low bands you can quickly transform your material in interesting, creative ways that you have almost certainly never considered before and are not even possible with the Pultec design. Once you’ve tried molding your mixes with these you’ll wonder how you ever managed before.
Not only does the PEQ-2 offer Low Shelf boost and cut control and High Shelf cut, but it also has a High Peak Boost with a completely variable Q (Bandwidth) setting that spans from Sharp to Broad to cover any needs. What’s more, the range of Boost actually varies depending on what your selected Bandwidth setting is to offer a very smooth and natural response at all times… Very clever indeed.
The ability to boost and cut at the same or similar frequencies produces exciting new equalized response curves. Experimentation is key, but you will quickly realize just how powerful this feature can be. Within no time the PEQ-2 will most likely become one of your most used studio tools. The sheer power if offers with the ease and speed of achieving results is impressive…and addictive.
Heritage Audio is on the scene to make this nearly lost treasure available to any and all. After months and months of studying the originals, the PEQ-2 has been reborn and is back by popular demand. Like all the Heritage Audio products, the LANG PEQ-2 comes equipped with custom audio transformers at the Input and Output to make sure you always have a powerful, solid, noise-free signal to work with.
Lang Electronics Inc. was famous for providing very high quality equipment at reasonable prices and Heritage Audio is intent on maintaining that philosophy.
- Authentic reissue of the impossible to find LANG PEQ-2
- Same Western Electric patent as the Pultec with extended functionality and sound tweaking possibilities.
- Transformer balanced Inputs & Outputs
- Stepped controls for easy recall and matching
- High Peak Boost with variable Bandwidth and 20 kHz option
- Custom inductors and tone capacitors of the same exact type as in the original.
- High Shelf Cut with extended frequency choices.
- Low Shelf Boost and Cut each with different frequency selections.
- Line input impedance: 2400 Ω bridging, transformer balanced and floating
- Output impedance: Transformer balanced and floating, to drive a load of 600 Ω
- Maximum output: > +26.5 dBu into 600 Ω (internally terminated)
- THD+N Ratio: 0.02 % @ 1 kHz 24 dBu
- High EQ: 2.5, 3.75, 5, 7.5, 10, 12, 15, 20kHz (Boost), 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20 kHz (Cut)
- Low EQ: 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, 120, 160, 240 Hz (Boost), 25, 50, 100, 200 Hz (Cut)
- Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (± 0.3 dB)
- Noise floor: < - 86 dBu
- Power: 48 V DC @ 60 mA (external, inklusive)
- Dimensions (W x H x L): 482 x 88 mm (2 U) x 153 mm
- Weight: 3.088 kg